[lug] server spec

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Jun 8 18:15:20 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 16:19 -0700, karl horlen wrote:
> HW target:
> -----------
>
> I'm on a budget.  would like to stay under / around
> $1200 but will slide to around $1500 if needed.
>
> Specs:
>
> - 2G Ram (3-4 would be better if i can get under
> budget)
> - 2 disk sata raid 1 mirror (obviously not for speed -
> redundancy)
> - Single P4 3G CPU on a mobo that can handle a dual
> cpu upgrade (my biggest dilemna.. not sure if single
> dual core, opteron, xeon for teaming with a later 2nd
> cpu of the same buys me anything right now when i can
> spend the extra money on RAM which will probably give
> a better price peformance return over teh short term)
> - 1U - needs to fit in colo rack

I would go with an Opteron, dual core if you can get it.  I just like
them better.

If you go with Intel I wouldn't get a P4.  I suppose they're cheap now.
But the Core-2 is so much better.  Also, the Xeon models are better for
database work because of all the extra cache even if you only have one
in a single socket.

I'd also look for NCQ on the SATA controller and drives.  It can help
quite a bit in a server situation.  I think CentOS 5 will support NCQ
(on some controllers).

But in the final analysis, if you can't afford anything else, go for 4
GB RAM. Waiting on disk kills performance.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>