[lug] server spec

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Jun 9 12:11:03 MDT 2007

karl horlen wrote:
>> I would also look into whether mysql has
>> solved its load
>> problems.  I know a while back postgresql had a
>> slower connect time(*)
>> but handled heavier loads gracefully.  Mysql had a
>> faster connect time
>> but would fail catastrophically once the load
>> crossed a magic threshold.
>>

> don't know?

I'm not sure what your question is.

I don't track mysql closely since it's a total nonstarter for me without
referential integrity, but I'm sure it's improved in the years since
that comparison.  Ultimately you can only know for sure after you set up
a test box and hit it with a heavy, but representative, load.  500k
requests/day is only about 6 per second on average, although you would
want to test higher peak loads.