[lug] grep question

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Mon Jun 11 10:01:01 MDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 07:08:36AM -0600, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> Okay, now I have time.  Here's a little more background, in five, easy
> steps.

> (4) On systems that approximate POSIX-conformance, these behaviors are
> governed by environment variables called things like LC_MONETARY and LC_TIME
> and LC_COLLATE.  There is, however, one ring that rules them all.   Okay,
> two rings:  LANG and LC_ALL.  They differ in subtle but boring ways.  Use
> LANG: it's fewer characters to type.  If you try "echo $LANG" you'll see
> what rules someone has told your system you want.
>
> (5) To provide normal, predictable, sane behavior -- or, as it's known in
> marketing circles, "traditional Unix behavior" -- say LANG=C.  You can say
> other stuff that works, too, like LANG=POSIX or LANG=XOPEN or even (I'm
> pretty sure -- all of this is from memory) unset LANG.
> The first of these, LANG=C, is the fewest characters to type.
>
> This help?

Not quite as much help as I would like. When I type "echo $LANG", I
see 'en_US', which surely is the name of a set of rules. Its pretty
clear that a step is missing. How do I go from a name of a set of
rules to the value of the set? There is likely a web site that lists
the well-known rule set names and values. Do you know the URL?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net