[lug] server spec

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jun 11 12:07:46 MDT 2007

On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> And, frankly, they think just as highly of Kingston RAM, which is
> available from Newegg.com for about $5 less per gig.

Kingston is (quite literally) a crap-shoot.   Far-east manufacturers
(especially Japanese) don't handle inventory the way Western
companies do.  They state at the beginning of the quarter how much
RAM they're going to produce, no matter what, and Kingston uses this
to their advantage.  In quarters where the manufacturers build too
much RAM, Kingston bids low on "whatever's left over".

Sometimes you get good stuff, sometimes you get junk.  It all depends
on who overbuilt for their demand, but the rule of averages tends to
lean Kingston toward the cheapest RAM manufacturers in the cheapest
places with the product no one wants.  This coming second-hand from
someone I know very well, who used to work in the RAM sales biz...

Personal anecdote, I've had at least two Kingston 1GB sticks fail in
odd ways, and they were always great about replacement (you pay
shipping to them, they pay shipping to you on their RMA system, and
you apply for the RMA online, making it as simple as possible), but
having had those two failures (especially since odd RAM failures are
incredibly annoying), I wouldn't put Kingston in a critical server
environment.  If you do, memtest86 will become your best friend.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com