[lug] grep question

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 11:15:03 MDT 2007

>> I find it hard to believe that any distro would have a LANG=
>> setting that would include lower case characters in the range A-Z.

Linux distros are only making this choice implicitly, by their choice
of C library.  I'd be surprised if any distro monkeyed with the locale
definitions (but I suppose I wouldn't want to bet on it :-)

FWIW this behavior is documented in the grep manual

    http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/doc/grep_8.html#SEC8

ISTR this change causing some consternation when it happened.  My
recollection is that it was one of those "posix versus unix tradition"
things that come up from time to time.  Those are annoying at first,
but I find after a couple of years I have trouble even remembering
what the changes were :-)

Tom