[lug] help needed with LVM situation

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Wed Jun 13 07:32:02 MDT 2007

LVM should be machine agnostic.  If you have the hard disks, you should
be able to plug them in and start the volumes.

There are two different metadata formats.  LVM version 1 which works
with the 2.4 kernels and LVM version 2 which is 2.6 and up.  They might
be trying to start an LVM version 1 volume with LVM version 2 utilities,
which would complain.  You can convert LVM version 1 to LVM version 2,
but not 2 to version 1.

If I was you I would put the disks into a system with no LVM that has
the same OS or kernel rev and then see if you can start the volumes.  I
don't know much about Debian, but I do know that Red Hat makes LVM very
easy.  It will deal with LVM for you at boot time as long as you have
physical volumes.

Dan