[lug] Proxy Server for rdesktop?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Jun 14 01:01:17 MDT 2007

siegfried wrote:
> I have a VPN client on a computer. Unfortunately, I am not, as a matter
> of my client's security policy, allowed to install that VPN client on
> additional computers in my home office.
>
> This is inconvenient. I would like to use remote desktop from additional
> computers in my home office. Can someone recommend a proxy server I can
> install on the computer running the VPN client that would allow me to
> use rdesktop from any of my home office machines and log into my
> client's machines at my client's site via the VPN client?
>
> I think Apache HTTPD has this feature but I am not sure if this is the
> ideal tool. I've never set it up this way and I don't know what ports
> rdesktop uses anyway. Can someone tell me what ports remote desk top
> uses and recommend a proxy server?
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

IIRC, I think RDP uses TCP port 3389.

I'm assuming that the computer with the VPN client is windows based?  If
so, you could try setting up Windows network sharing on that PC and then
routing your other home machines through that connection.  On the other
hand, I'm guessing that this computer may also have a local firewall
installed as part of the company's standard software image and that
adding exceptions or disabling the firewall for network sharing is
probably not within policy either. ;)
-Ken