RAID revisited - RE: [lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jun 18 09:17:13 MDT 2007

fred.robinson at sipfusion.com wrote:
> My needs are for a dual purpose solution that provides both a disk
> failure/data loss and a data corruption and recovery contingency.

I think you need a regular backup system.  You can't protect against
data corruption with one spare disk because there's likely a time after
corruption occurs and before you notice that you're at risk for syncing
corrupted data.

> - Is there a way, via mdadm RAID-1 to swap the primary RAID-1 drive
> with the secondary drive and cause a sync from the "hot standby" disk
> to the primary disk,

Boot from the second drive.  But that likely requires it to be remapped
to the primary somehow and is probably error prone.

Boot from CD to fix things.

Only use RAID on partitions that can be unmounted while the system runs
(i.e., not / ).  I doubt you can convince Linux to change out the
file system that the kernel and init are running from.

Probably this is the sort of thing that virtualization is being used to
solve.

Dave