[lug] digital camcorders

brad at bradandkim.net brad at bradandkim.net
Fri Jun 22 14:46:34 MDT 2007

> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend a digital camcorder and capture card that work
> well with linux?  After much hassle with my old analog camcorder
> I've decided it's time to go digital.

I have a JVC but don't recall the model number and it's not in front of me
at the moment.

> If you have successful experiences importing digital video/audio
> from a camcorder into linux ...
>
> What model camcorder did you use?
>
> What model capture card did you use?

Onboard firewire, so no help to you here.

> What software did you use?

Kino.

http://www.kinodv.org/

> Were there any problems?  In particular, were there any quality
> or synchronization issues?

I haven't gotten as far as burning the video to dvd yet, so I just have a
bunch of .dv files.  They play back fine through kino so I assume
everything is good at this point.

> Did you capture the audio via the capture card or via the sound card?

All through the capture card.  As I recall, I just plugged in the camera
and powered it on, told kino to dicover the camera and it popped up a
control panel where I could conrol the camera.  There was a button for
capture and that was pretty much it.

> Many thanks for your advice!
>
> Steve
>
> --