[lug] digital camcorders

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jun 28 01:24:26 MDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:28:29AM -0600, Ted Logan wrote:
>capture video from other sources, which is useful for digitizing old
>VHS tapes.)

On that front, I've been using one of those little Neuros OSD boxes for
around $200 to turn my VHS into digital.  It runs Linux.  The firmware on
it is still a little quirky, but it mostly works fine.  It will record to
an SD card, USB drive, or samba share.  I had my first recordings happening
in like 5 minutes going to an SD card, it took around an hour to set up
samba and get that working.

It's very easy to do the recordings, though it's fairly limited in the
bit-rates that it supports, for example you can do 1200kbps or 2000kbps,
but nothing in between.  Also, it always seems to stop the recording at
2GB, "finalize" it, then start recording again.  So you miss around 15
seconds of video if >2GB.

However, one nice feature is that you can tell it how long to record, so if
I know roughly how long the tape or segment is I want to record I can start
it and not worry about stopping it.

Sean
--
 A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
                -- Joseph Campbell