[lug] Firefox unresponsive script

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 10 08:31:01 MDT 2007

Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 14:56 -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
>> A few weeks ago when accessing my gmail account, attempting to read an
>> email specifically, I was suddenly faced with an unresponsive script
>> error.  I did some googling and came across a fix.
>>
>> ----------
>> In the ‘Filter’ box, type dom.max_script_run_time. This will narrow the
>> options till only the dom.max_script_run_time option remains.
>> Right-click it and choose Modify. A box pops up. Change the number to
>> something bigger like 20. This is the maximum time a script can run
>> before Firefox considers it ‘unresponsive’.
>> ----------
>>
>> I used a value of 30 and it worked up until today when it started again.
>>   I've upped that value a few times (currently 200), and while I don't
>> get the error message, I still can't read email messages either.  gmail
>> just hangs until I refresh the page and I'm returned to the page of
>> email messages.  I won't claim an exhaustive search for alternate fixes,
>> but this is the only one I've found.
>
> Maybe try FF 1.5 if you're using 2.0, or 2.0 if you use 1.5.
>
> Try Opera or Konqueror to rule out FF bugs.

My Opera install gave up the ghost a few months ago and I haven't gotten
around to troubleshooting it.  Konqueror works, sort of.  It isn't an
officially supported browser for gmail and chat doesn't work so I don't
bother with it.  Here is the real travesty behind all of this...

The problem began around noon yesterday.  Around 2:00 String Cheese
released more tickets to the Red Rocks shows, informing us by email.
When I finally checked my email on another machine, I was too late.
Arrrg!  The timing really sucked on this one.

> It could be a GMail bug.  It isn't like they don't exist. :)

Seems that way.  Firefox with windows works.  Different versions though.

> Tell Google about it.

Vacation is two days away.  I think I'll just let it ride and hope for
the best on my return.

Gary