[lug] Help installing debian at the install fest?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Thu Jul 12 00:48:16 MDT 2007

I want to install debian on my PC because it seems to be the best platform
for doing embedded system work.

Now I can boot debian if I first boot windows, run VMWare and install debian
and reboot the virtual CPU.

However, if I take the same debian distro and try to install it on my ext2
partition, I get a core dump. I tried several different debian distros and
they all core dumped (except sarge). I even used my digital camera to take a
picture of my monitor (with the core dump on it, of course) and post it in
the debian forums. No one was able to help me (that was six months ago).

Is there any point in lugging my PC to the install fest and getting some
help installing debian? The core dump is happening in the beginning part of
the installation process. Are there installation parameters to play with
(like there are boot parameters for knoppix)?

Will there be enough bandwidth there to do the abbreviated debian that
downloads almost everything or should I burn a debian distro that does not
require a network connection?

Which debian should I use? It is so confusing and (as of six months ago)
they did not explain the difference between sarge, etch and the other
releases. I know I don't want sarge because it is extremely old! There is
probably one newer than etch now.

Thanks,
Siegfried