[lug] Wireless bridging question?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Jul 12 16:07:18 MDT 2007

Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> As the proud new owner of a modded Xbox, I have a question for the group:
> Which is better a wireless game adapter or a converted wireless box
> via a wrt linksys?
>
> My xbox is currently in the test stand and is a frontend for my mythtv box.
> They talk over 100baseT Ethernet.  Works fine.  But the xbox will be moving
> to the living room soon.  So I need to connect the xbox to the network.
> I have 802.11g with WPA running (Netgear router) at home so I can
> connect the xbox that way.  But do I want a "wireless game adapter" or
> should I get
> a router (Linksys 54g or Netgear), reflash it and make it a wireless
> bridge?
>
> What experiences, good or bad, does the group have?

I don't have any experience with the game adapter but if the costs are
similar then I'd go with the Linksys WRT54GL and then reflash with
DD-WRT.  This will give you 4 wired ports you could connect devices to
on the remote end and additional functionality in case you decide to use
it for something more down the road.

Mine have been rock-solid stable for over a year and have pretty decent
range..

-Ken