[lug] Help installing debian at the install fest?

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Fri Jul 13 13:13:46 MDT 2007

I have no idea why you are getting core dumps on the debian install. But
you said you didn't get a core dump with Sarge? If you were able to
install Sarge successfully, do that. Once you have sarge installed,
change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to etch|testing|unstable
and run "apt-get dist-upgrade"  If it the core dump is a kernel problem,
install a few different kernels before you reboot after you upgrade.

I want to second Nate that if you are using stable, your sources should
point to the name (Sarge, Etch), etc, and not to "stable"... I had mine
pointing to stable when Debian went from Sarge->Etch and all of a sudden
apt-get wanted to upgrade everything (which probably would have worked
fine, its Debian, but I like to control when I do an upgrade).

To continue the Debian version rant:

I run Stable on my "production" servers and it's great. I've NEVER had
any problems running apt-get upgrade to installing the latest security
patches. I've stopped even checking my services after upgrading them.
Upgrading from Woody to Sarge was painless. I expect the same for Sarge
-> Etch when I get around to it.

I run unstable (sid) on my desktop computer.... I upgrade when I want
the new version of something and I rarely have any problems. And if
there are problems it usually just says it can't upgrade these programs
and you can just keep on trucking with the older version.

Ben