[lug] Help with different methods of upgrade

gordongoldin at aim.com gordongoldin at aim.com
Mon Jul 16 16:05:12 MDT 2007

I am trying to upgrade a Dell from FC5 to FC6.

First I tried a disk install(upgrade).

Used BitTorrent to put the CD iso's for FC-6 in a directory.
I read that BitTorrent does the sha1sum for you, so I only checked CD1.iso

Went to upgrade. Booted from FC5 CD1, "linux askmethod", "disk drive"
? Gave it /dev/hda6 and /home/ISO/FC_6_CD.

It said "/dev/hda6 does not appear to contain Fedora Core CDROM images".
When I deliberately typo'ed the directory, it did say it couldn't find the directory, so that appears OK.

I moved the sha1sum and rescuecd.iso out of that directory, but that didn't do anything.
Thoughts?

So I tried FTP install. Like above, but FTP.
Gave it linux.nssl.noaa.gov? and /fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os
Again, if I fed it a wrong directory, it said it coldn't fine the xml file it needed, so I think that's right.

First it died saying corrupt samba package, then corrupt man-pages package.

So I tried the download.fedora.redhat.com
Got some other "corrupt package" error.

Thoughts?