[lug] Help with different methods of upgrade

gordongoldin at aim.com gordongoldin at aim.com
Wed Jul 18 10:15:52 MDT 2007

I have a stack of machines that need upgrading.  They range back to FC2 and have legacy systems on them.  So I want to upgrade core to core and hopefully not break anything.

I don’t want to jump upgrades.  When I did that from FC3 to FC5, no machine could find the gateway (they connected to the local network fine).  And Samba would always read UserID as <> - I spent days setting machines side by side and re-installing Samba etc.  Every machine that jumped would not work – any machine with any other FC install or upgrade was fine.

So I’m trying to find any upgrade method that works.

My PC says it burns iso’s – its a lie – they finally point you at the NEW version that costs ONLY ...

My Toshiba laptop has a CD/DVD burner that says it writes iso’s – it doesn’t , and further investigation yields “... it may write iso’s but not all iso’s ...”

A)  First I tried a disk install(upgrade)with BitTorrent, also on different machines just hand downloading. I boot from CD1 of FC3 and point to the FC4 isos or boot from FC5 and point to FC6 isos – every machine says:
“/dev/hda6 does not appear to contain Fedora Core CDROM images".

When I deliberately typo'ed the directory, it did say it couldn't find the directory, so that appears OK.

B) So I tried FTP install. Like above, but FTP.  Booted from FC5 or FC3
Gave it linux.nssl.noaa.gov (or download.fedora.redhat.com) and fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os (or /4/).
Again, if I fed it a wrong directory, it said it couldn't fine the xml file it needed, so I think that's right.

Every install died saying “corrupt package”, each time a different package, and quits (same behaviour as when I’ve upgraded from a CD and it got a read error).

C) So I tried an HTTP upgrade – booted from FC3 and pointed at ...core/4/..

This looked so great – it actually gave messages... “downloading this package, installing this package... 97% complete” etc etc

Came in next morning to a message “congratulations, your install is complete, reboot”.

It booted to FC3, not FC4, and when I log in as root, I get the message:
login: no shell: access denied