[lug] Help using Serial Console

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Jul 23 12:08:00 MDT 2007

Thanks. I'm not using DSView. I bought the CPS-1610 after-market on EBay
and it didn't come with the software or cables. After looking it over, I
don't think that the slight benefit it would give would justify the pain.

 From reading the manual for DSView, it appears that if I use their SSH
client, they would support two different terminal sizes, 80*24, and
48*132. I don't want to go through the pain of installing DSView on a
server, and just for that feature.

I did find the stty command that lets me force the columns and rows to
the right value. When I use that command to set the values, then
programs like vi, yast, and mc all work as expected. So, I guess what
I'll do is create a custom "/etc/issue" file for that tty and list the
commands to reset the console size.

Next year, I buy an IP based KVM....

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.