[lug] Help using Serial Console

brad at bradandkim.net brad at bradandkim.net
Tue Jul 24 08:12:17 MDT 2007

> On Tues, Jul 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I have also played with the HP ILO a bit, and it's pretty nice.  If your
> console is just text, you can just SSH in to it and interact with the
> console.  If it goes graphics, you have to use a Java applet.  Our servers
> run pretty much only text consoles, so that's nice.  You can also do power
> on/off/reset, but I don't recall seeing sensor data easily available.  I
> didn't dig too much though.
>
> Sean

I have had great luck with remote access or ILO cards that support IPMI
2.0.  You can get a lot of sensor data for monitoring apps, remotely power
on, off the machine, ssh the card directly, redirect text console,
redirect GUI console with a java applet, and redirect your local
floppy/cdrom/dvd/iso image to the remote server.

Brad Crotchett
brad at bradandkim.net
http://www.bradandkim.net