[lug] OT: Comcast

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:52:15 MDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Nick Golder <nrg at nirgo.net> wrote:
> I figure a couple of people here probably have Comcast and can answer
> a question or two.  So, can I access a server I have at home on
> Comcast's service directly (and I imagine the answer is "no")?  Are their

A news server?  No, they scan for those.

I don't recall exactly what their user agreement specifies, but I had
no problem logging in via SSH (non-standard port) from elsewhere
during the 2 years when we had Comcast at home, and I continue to have
no problem logging into my computer at the office, or at my parents'
place in Lakewood.

> advertised speeds, like Qwests, a function of reality stirred in with a
> healthy dose of hype?

As always, YMMV. But typically I see around 700-800 KBps (yes, that's
bytes) when downloading large files from a good repository.

> kind of a Denver/Boulder/Longmont issue.  Is that still the case?

Not that I've noticed.

> [1] Qwest originally quoted ~5Mbps/768Kbps speeds - in reality, it is
> going to be closer to 256Kbps both ways.

Uggh ... my brother-in-law has this (due to cost, not line
considerations), and it's PAINFUL waiting for downloads.

Calvin