[lug] OT: Comcast

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Jul 24 17:18:07 MDT 2007

Nick Golder wrote:
> I am getting ready to move and found out that Qwest grossly overstated
> the capability of our phone circuit and we will take a huge hit in
> performance[1].  I am looking at other options - Comcast being one - and
> they (here comes the surprise) can't answer a couple of questions.
>
> I figure a couple of people here probably have Comcast and can answer
> a question or two.  So, can I access a server I have at home on
> Comcast's service directly (and I imagine the answer is "no")?

If it runs on a well known port, then the answer is no. SMTP/www are
out. OTOH, I can ssh in to my box.

If you read Qwest's terms and conditions, they prohibit running servers
as well. I remember reading back a while, that they were going to do
this even if you were justing the copper to get to another ISP.

 > Are their
> advertised speeds, like Qwests, a function of reality stirred in with a
> healthy dose of hype?  I tried Comcast something like 4.5 years ago and
> ended up getting a Qwest circuit with a 3rd party ISP due to Comcast
> having terrible networks outage issues.  IIRC, it wasn't localized but
> kind of a Denver/Boulder/Longmont issue.  Is that still the case?

I get 700-800 KB/sec on downloads. Uploads suck, maybe 64KB/Second. I
usually rate limit any file transfers so they don't swamp the connection.

As far as reliability, I've had the service 4 years, and had maybe two
outages of an hour during daylight hours. In off-peak hours (4:00 AM),
maybe 6-8 outages.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.