[lug] OT: Comcast

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:24:47 MDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Nick Golder <nrg at nirgo.net> wrote:
> On 2007-07-24 16:52 -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> > A news server?  No, they scan for those.
>
> They scan for NNTP?  Know of any servers/services they scan for?

Actually, I don't know if they scan for such servers now. I do know
that they (or some cable-based ancestor) used to do so.

I don't _think_ they block port 22, because I know of at least one
Comcast-connected system which used to use that port for SSH. Then the
administrator (me) got a clue, and switched to a non-standard port to
avoid the automatic scan-and-attack bots which are running around
loose.

> So each user/modem is issued a publicly reachable IP
> address?

Yes.

Calvin