[lug] SW Raid question

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Tue Jul 24 20:38:25 MDT 2007

> dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> [...]
>> Lets say i go ahead and enable the compatability mode right now so i can
>> install my sw raid / lvm setup and get up and running.  Lesser
>> performance
>> isn't going to kill me right now.
>
> Can grub boot off LVM now?  Didn't used to.  Or do you /boot elsewhere?

i've been combing the net for the last couple of days about grub, raid,
lvm and what i do know is that grub can boot md raid but the filesystem
must be ext3.  not sure about lvm.  i dont' think so.

for my example, i intended to have lvm on top of a separate md raided root
partion.  and i am actually thinking about scrapping using lvm all
together.  not sure it really buys me much since my system is limited to 2
drives anyway.  and i wouldnt' be able to add an PVs.