[lug] OT: Comcast

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Wed Jul 25 18:03:29 MDT 2007

On 2007-07-25 11:43 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>
> >If you read Qwest's terms and conditions, they prohibit running servers
> >as well. I remember reading back a while, that they were going to do
> >this even if you were justing the copper to get to another ISP.
>
> I'd love to see 'em try.  I have my service agreement from them, and it
> says no such thing.
>
> I use them as transport to FRII, who allows servers, just fine...

I agree that it should be up to the ISP and not the circuit provider.
http://www.qwest.com/legal/highspeedinternetsubscriberagreement/

7. Service Conditions
.
.
You agree not to: (i) offer public information services (unlimited usage
or otherwise),...

There was a thread about the changes about a year and a half ago:
http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20060116/031440.html

Just skimming over the newest service agreement introduces even more
limiting use language.  I am not going to speculate as to whether Qwest
would ever go after offending customers but there are definite advantages
- legal and financial -  as to why they would include the language.

--
Nick Golder