[lug] PEA Kernel

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Jul 25 19:46:13 MDT 2007

My newly installed centOS 5 system has exactly 4G RAM.  I installed 32 bit
OS version.  But it is only recognizing 3.6G of ram (top , meminfo)

I've heard about the the so-called PAE kernel.  My system did NOT install
it.  Do i still need this kernel just to see 4G?  I thought you didn't
need it unless you were running MORE than 4G.

even dmesg seems to contradict itself:

"Warning only 4GB will be used
Use a PAE enabled kernel"

Well.. i've only got 4G.  Let me use it :-)

Is it possible i'm missing a kernel boot param or something to get it to
see all 4G?

I went with the 32bit OS based on a variety of recommendations.  I guess
this is one drawback.