[lug] LVM on SW raid simple tests

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 26 02:17:01 MDT 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 11:39 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Bonnie is a better benchmark, but the default seek settings are way
> too
> small on modern machines, so it requires tweaking quite a bit
> before you can
> get reasonable numbers.  But, it's still only a rough idea of
> performance.
> Benchmarking is *HARD*.

Shows how long since I've played with it... or needed heavy hitter
drive performance out of a box.

You're right... when I was doing that stuff, I felt like I was a
drive company QA tester, without the benefit of overtime pay or an
engineer to ask dumb questions of.

Eventually I both lost interest and "found" enough "disposable"
income to just buy faster hardware as a quick fix.  Or learned to
live with whatever the fastest drives I could afford would do, after
reading the results of folks willing to take the days and days
necessary to do the benchmarks.

It was a cop-out, but time priorities have a way of forcing their
hand better and more effectively than other priorities in life.
Time's incessant march has a way of getting one's attention like no
other force in the Universe, really.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com