[lug] Convert swap from raid0 to raid1

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 26 02:21:47 MDT 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 11:03 PM, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

> if others can chime in on this i'm more than willing to hear their
> thoughts.  i worried about the performance hit when i decided to go
> that
> route but everything is a tradeoff.  availability versus
> performance in
> this case.  if it's really going to degrade performance i imagine
> i'd just
> can the mirroring on swap.

Or just set up two swap spaces and turn them both on.  The kernel
will figure it out if one of them barfs... usually... at boot time
anyway.  You might have issues during a live failure, but... then
again, the kernel's pretty smart about such things.  You'd likely
have a slew of errors in Ye Olde Logs, but a simple swapoff /path/to/
borked/swap/partition would cure it.  Or lock up the box!  (GRIN)

> which brings up a question. as it stands now, swap is raid 0.
> which means
> that if one drive goes south when the system is booted, i believe that
> would prevent the system from coming up.  i'll pull my drive and check
> that in a second.

Probably bad juju, yeah.

--
Nate Duehr