[lug] Convert swap from raid0 to raid1

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Thu Jul 26 03:26:14 MDT 2007

>  From 2006 Debian discussions (it didn't take me too long to find
> this, because I was reading some of this stuff at the time, and
> amazed at the complexity)...

i'll have to look through this..

i guess what i can extrapolate from what i've done today is that as far as
redhat's concerned, mdadm --create is the "interface" that is responsible
for "defining" and "installing" the array metadata to wherever it is that
it puts it.  it's the one command that the others can't live without.

All the other mdadm commands are basically accessing that metadata to do
whatever it is they do.  It appears you can also force some commands to
use the mdadm.conf file as a proxy to circumvent directly accessing the
metadata for "certain" operations.  Or at least that's what i got out of
it today.

the best way to learn this stuff is by cutting your teeth with it.  no
real shortcuts.

> All these whacky differences can drive you crazy trying to track
> them, like the kernel itself, and most successful long-term linux
> software packages, it's constantly morphing into different things,

i'll second that.  i'm glad this group exists to help me wrap my head
around this stuff at times :-)

thanks