[lug] hotswap sw raid mirror

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jul 27 04:32:02 MDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 02:49:30AM -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>i obviously don't expect to be able to just pull a drive on a running
>array and expect that to work.  that's hw raid turf.

What do you have to lose in pulling a drive and seeing what happens?

>but i was thinking that while testing recovery scenarios, i could fail one
>device in the mirror, stop the array and then pull the drive while the

You will have to fail all partitions that are on the device you want to
pull.  See the man page for "mdadm", in particular the "--fail" and
"--remove" options to Manage mode.  You can fail a device in the array
without shutting down the array.

Sean
--
 Hi, my name's Sean, but my friends call me...  Actually, my friends USUALLY
 e-mail me...  -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000