[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

Brad Crotchett brad at bradandkim.net
Tue Jul 31 20:25:17 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 18:52 -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> I imagine this allows me to NOT have to reconfigure services that send
> errors / status to root by default.  Instead i redirect root with an alias
> to my external email account right?  Wouldn't that generate an enormous
> amount of email that's not necessarily of critical nature?
>
> fyi, i didn't find an /etc/mail/aliases file on my system.
>
> do i just need to create the file and set an alias for root or is there
> some other incantation i need to do to make sendmail recognize it?
>
> thanks

That's correct.  Anything mail sent from local services to
'root at Localhost.localdomain' or 'root at hostname' will be sent to the
external address that root is aliased to.  You will likely find the
aliases file at '/etc/aliases'.

Don't forget to run 'newaliases' after editing the file.

Thanks,

Brad