[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Tue Jul 31 21:34:43 MDT 2007

> That's correct.  Anything mail sent from local services to
> 'root at Localhost.localdomain' or 'root at hostname' will be sent to the
> external address that root is aliased to.  You will likely find the
> aliases file at '/etc/aliases'.
>
> Don't forget to run 'newaliases' after editing the file.

found it! thanks.

every service basically aliases to root!  I thought there would be a lot
of junk in root mailbox because of this but it's only about 2 mails a day.
 so i guess aliasing root which everything else is aliased to isn't such a
big deal in terms of mail load?

is there any security risk posed by sending out all root mail aliased to
my external account?  i'm not sure what type of info is actually sent in
these emails over time.

thanks