[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Aug 1 01:35:47 MDT 2007

> On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Brad Crotchett wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 18:52 -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to confirm using netstat on localhost that smtp /
>>> 25 is
>>> ONLY ACCEPTING on 127.0.0.1 versus accepting on 0.0.0.0?  I'm
>>> thinking
>>> there is a way to confirm this functionality on the box without
>>> having to
>>> issue a command over the network from a separate box.  just not
>>> sure how?
>>
>> 'netstat -an' should show you what local address a service is
>> listening
>> on.
>
> Yes, but listening daemons can listen for incoming from anything and
> then reject connections from specific addresses.  That's what he was
> asking was if you could see at the OS level what the application
> layer will reject.
>
> The answer is, of course, no.  When security restrictions are handled
> at the application, all the OS knows is that the daemon is listening
> for connections on a port number.  The OS doesn't know that the
> daemon will disconnect anyone coming in from a blacklisted address.

In my case, brad's suggestion actually works because my smtp is only
listening on 127.0.0.1.  Which was the main thing i needed to verify.  for
services that listen on interfaces exposed to the internet, what you say
is true.  i guess you have to close it down in the service's config or via
firewall and then bang on the connection from the outside with nmap and
the like.

thanks