[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Aug 1 01:41:18 MDT 2007

>> is there any security risk posed by sending out all root mail
>> aliased to
>> my external account?  i'm not sure what type of info is actually
>> sent in
>> these emails over time.
>
> For most things, no.  No "normal" daemon I've seen sends out anything
> "dangerous" to you, but I've seen systems where a prior admin had the
> system mailing things to root that shouldn't travel over the Internet
> at large.

i'm not planning on adding anything funky and sticking to normal daemon
generated emails.  so it sounds like i don't have much to worry about.

> And of course, how you access your mail, where it's stored, and how
> it gets there, all come into play also.
> read the mail "in flight", so to speak.  If the mail server is a
> commercial provider, then you're at their whims as to all of the
> above risks...

well that would be my case.  for now i'm using third party email.  so
that's obviously a weak point.  i understood that going in which is why i
wanted to know the general level of info provided by standard daemon mail.

i'll just have to monitor it as time goes on and see for myself.

thanks