[lug] mysqldump versus snapshot versus..

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Aug 1 05:00:33 MDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:49:28AM -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>i'm trying to find the best method to backup my mysql databases.

The first hit on google for "mysql backup" is the "Database Backup" section
of the MySQL documentation.  It goes into some of these details.

About the only thing it doesn't go into is LVM snapshots, but the
mysqlhotcopy script could be modified to use LVM snapshots instead of
making a literal copy of /var/lib/mysql which is what it does by default.

It also goes into several other options.

Sean
--
 "We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
         - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the name 'Steely Dan'