[lug] mysqldump versus snapshot versus..

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Thu Aug 2 10:19:13 MDT 2007

The other thing you can do is use replication with MySQL and backup
the hot spare box.  This uses binary log files to keep a second
"slave" instance of MySQL in sync with the "master" instance.  Useful
for providing hot spares or in some cases load balancing your select
queries across multiple servers (assuming your data doesn't change
that often).

You can also take down the "slave" instance and do a full backup.
When the slave comes back online it will sync what data it missed
using the binary logs and be back up to date with the "master" fairly
quickly.

There is a good tutorial on setting this up here:
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3355201

You could even have two instances of MySQL running on the same box for
this purpose.