[lug] mysqldump versus snapshot versus..

steve at badcheese.com steve at badcheese.com
Thu Aug 2 15:27:44 MDT 2007

> As far as using the replication server for selects, you have to be awfully
> careful with that.  For one thing, you may not get that much additional
> performance by doing that.  See the discussions related to memcached for
> what livejournal saw when they tried to do that.  Another issue is that you
> need to make SURE no updates are happening to those read-only machines, or
> that you've set up things so that updates to those machines don't break the
> database.

If performance is a big deal, I'd recommend memcached to wrap around your
DB calls.  Also used at livejournal.com (and pronto.com).  :)  Our QA DB
was just doing 2.4 Million hits / day with one mysql 5.0 instance and one
memcached server.  :)

- Steve

--
EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve