[lug] [OT] Old Stuff

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 2 19:22:43 MDT 2007

Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:

> I can't imagine a use for these, but can anyone think of a reason to
> *not* throw out a Hayes 2400 and an Intel 144e modem?

*IF* the 2400 has the real clicky-click type RELAY in it, there's some
interesting applications for that in the radio world...

(The relay closes the "line two" pins together on the RJ11 on the back
of the modem whenever it's off-hook, and allows for keying a radio
whenever the modem is told to go "off-hook"... for purposes of sending
DTMF commands to remote radio sites.)

Heh... but that's pretty esoteric.  And I think the 1200 was the last
modem that did it.  I don't think the 2400 did.

The original Hayes 1200 baud modems also had a "hidden" AT command to
send Morse Code via a switched single AF tone... so mixed with the
above, a PC, the modem, and a cable to the radio were all one needed to
remotely transmit and program something via DTMF over a radio link, and
also to legally ID the transmitting station!

Heh... sorry... way out of left field, I know.  I was hunting for a
Hayes 1200 earlier this year to hook up to do this, and then realized
that most of them are so old their power supply and filter capacitors
are completely dried out, and the first power spike they take, they
usually croak... too much work.

Easier to just use my existing sound-card interface, generate DTMF there
which keys the radio via VOX, and plug in a mic to ID it when I'm done.  :-)

Nate