[lug] Apple owns CUPS

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:42:13 MDT 2007

Phillip,

I'll make obvious statements so everyone else doesn't have to.   For folks
tantalized by the topic, details can be found at http://cups.org .

Apple can only buy what someone already owned.  ESP has sold commercial,
enhanced versions of CUPS -- with support and lots of extra drivers -- for
quite some time.  Now, one suspects, Apple will sell them instead. That
seems okay, and no different a business model from lots of open-source
projects that we're used to (e.g., Artifex/Ghostscript).

It's claimed CUPS will stay Open Source.   If so, swell.  If not, folks will
take what's out there and extend it in other directions; Apple's CUPS will
be like Safari -- nice enough, but an Apple-only, niche product.

Apple and Michael Sweet are saying good things but talk's cheap, and the
only way to know is to live long enough to see what happens.  If soothsaying
had had a better track record, Caesar would have stayed home.

On 8/3/07, Phillip Tribble <phillip.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a big fan of CUPS (as we all should be). I am rather disgusted that
> Apple now owns it. Hopefully the closed minded artist that Steve jobs is
> will continue to make it free. If it does not, it can mean the end of
> the rapid open source adoption. How does this feel about the recent CUPS
> news ?
>
> --
>

> Phillip Tribble
> That Guy INC.