[lug] Responsible Black Hole Lists

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Wed Aug 8 12:22:08 MDT 2007

I use spamhuas.org -- In postfix main.cf, I've got the line:

        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org

in smtpd_sender_restrictions =

I haven't any problems with false positives. The nice thing about it (as
opposed to later filtering via spamassassin and the like) is that it
rejects the e-mail and the sender gets a bounce. If it is a real e-mail,
then  human will get the bounce and know it didn't go through. I've also
had great results using helo_required and helo_restrictions and the like
to reject mail from servers not following the standard protocol. It has
greatly reduced the spam that my filters have to deal with. For some
numbers, for every e-mail that gets in (or out, so I'm overcounting
received e-mails), 1 gets rejected by spamhaus, and 2.2 get rejected by
helo restrictions and the like. In total, 24% of attempts make it past
the front door.

Ben