[lug] fsck question

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 8 21:24:36 MDT 2007

karl horlen wrote:
>> Generally, if fsck can, it will reattach files in
>> <fs>/lost+found/
>
> Nothing in there.  I guess that file is lost for good.
>
>> I did find this page:
>>
> http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/Ext3OrphanedInodeProblem
>
>> If you have an rpm based system, you can do rpm -Va
>> which will validate
>> all rpm-installed software.  I don't believe /usr is
>> supposed to have
>> volatile data, so using your packaging systems
>> validation tools should
>> let you know whether or not something semi-important
>> was damaged.  I'm
>> assuming if it were really important, you'd know and
>> be asking a
>> different question.
>
> I used rpm -Va and it did find a fair number of
> packages with what appear to be S signature
> differences.  Not really sure where those came from
> since I have always used yum to install from the
> default stock repo locations that are set at default
> time.
>
> Thanks

S is a file size difference.  The next task is determining where those
file size differences actually matter (e.g. the size of config files is
going to be different than the default).

If you find that the file really shouldn't be a different size, then you
can extract it from the rpm and copy it into place.

Hugh