[lug] fsck question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 9 12:44:44 MDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:11:08PM -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
>In the case of ext2 w/ journal, fsck will apply the journal and call it
>good unless the "superblock indicates that further checking is required

Actually, the output he showed indicated that it didn't even do that.  If
the file-system was cleanly unmounted, and it hasn't exceeded the maximal
mount or age counts, fsck will by default just tell you that it's clean and
move on.  In any case, as you say, you need to force it.

It has flags stored on disc for things like location it was last mounted,
whether it was cleanly unmounted, and how many days or mounts it should go
between fscks before it forces one due to age.

Sean
--
 "I feel so insignificant...  Like people are laughing at me."
 "You--You ARE a clown..."  -- Bob Newhart