[lug] BLUG meeting documents on the web?

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:27:46 MDT 2007

Siegfried.

Most of the talk was about work Evi did on DNS at CAIDA.  Some interesting
points:

- Many sites send out responses to DNS queries with TTL values that are much
too short.

- Microsoft machines are configured, by default, with a variety of problems
that add up to a massive, unintentional DDoS attack on the 13 root servers.

- One of the Microsoft problems was eliminate by Service Pack 2.  That this
problem was cut in half following SP2's release suggests that the people who
run with the default configuration also often don't install their service
packs.   In other words, bad defaults are a bad idea.

- ISPs run hack-arounds to help lessen the problem, including black holes
for bogus root-server requests.

- The root servers are doing various things to provide some load-balancing,
including Paul Vixie's "anycast" addressing, which has turned the 'f' root
server into machines in 40 different cities, all with the same DNS name.

At the end, she also gave a couple of short presentations, one on what works
and doesn't if you're teaching undergrads how to write software, and a
second on some of her sailing adventures.  (She's now on her boat about 11
months a year, and just happened to be in town.)

Hope this helps!

For more details, you'll need to look at the overheads after they're posted,
and at http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~evi/sailing.html

On 8/10/07, siegfried <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

> For those of use that had a scheduling conflict and were unable to attend:
> would someone be kind enough to write up a paragraph or two summarizing
> the
> meeting?
>
> The last I heard (saw, actually) was that the topic was still unknown.
>
> Thanks,
> siegfried

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]