[lug] How to Unzip a 4GB ZIP File?

bgiles at coyotesong.com bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Aug 14 08:46:32 MDT 2007

> On 8/14/07, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
>> I've received a ZIP file that contains a 4.4 GB text file, but 'unzip'
>> on my FC 6 machine can't unpack it. Does anyone know of another way to
>> get at this file?
>
> It looks like p7zip should do the job.

It's been a while since I looked at the spec, but I thought zip (like
most? archive formats), used 32 bits for file sizes and offsets.  The
compressor might be using nonstandard extensions to the format.

On the other hand there is a streaming mode where you write an incomplete
header (with zero file size) at the beginning and a trailer with the
actual compressed/uncompressed file sizes.  A 'broken' archiver might
ignore errors due to oversized files, but on creation and extraction.