[lug] Postscript Printer setup

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Wed Aug 15 08:03:39 MDT 2007

Hi,

I just installed an HP 2605dn printer on a USB port on Suse 10.2.  HP
claims this printer understands postcript, but it doesn't work.  Yet
when I hook it up to a Win XP box via USB the printer works fine.

But when I use it from Suse via USB, no luck.  When I try to print a
test page from the Suse configurator the printer light blinks,
indicating it's receiving data, but no page is printed.  Similarly,
when I "lp test.ps" the green light blinks, but no page is printed.

Long ago with some previous printer I had a similar problem and did
something like copy ctl-L to /dev/lp to force the page eject.
But there is no /dev/lp on this Linux ... why not?

How can I get this printer running?

Many thanks,

Steve

$ ls /dev