[lug] Re: Postscript Printer setup

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:31:31 MDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Steve Sullivan <sullivan at mathcom.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for all the suggestions.  I finally got it working,
> and am not quite sure what was the trick.  On the Yast printer
> configurator I chose a different ppd file and that seemed to
> be the magic it needed.  Oh, and also I had to specify tray 2.
>

> On my Suse 10.2, there were 3 ppd files shown as "recommended" by Yast.
> The original ppd file that was selected was:
>   HP Color LaserJet 2605 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)
>       (HP/Color_LaserJet_2605-Postscript.ppd.gz)
> And the one that worked was:
>   HP Color LaserJet 2605 Postscript (recommended)
>       (manufacturer-PPDs/hp/HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd.gz)
> How's a guy supposed to know? :)

Glad you solved it. One of my biggest problems with CUPS is that you
can never tell what the PPD files really are. The other problem is
that they never test anything before release. I can't count the number
of times (numerous distros) that I've had broken CUPS printing over
the past few years.

Sigh, at least they've finally achieved near perfect support for my
Epson CX4200.

--
Collins Richey