[lug] CaCert

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Mon Aug 27 15:17:55 MDT 2007

> Not quite.  The CACert root certificate is not in all browsers.  Many
> Linux distro's add it to Firefox and such, but it is not included in
> Firefox to begin with, there is a process that CACert is going through
> to get into Mozilla/Firefox.

so is there any real benefit to cacert versus just signing my own
certificate?  It looks like the popoup is going to come either way.  If i
sign my own cert and set the common name to my domain, i imagine the certs
aren't going to look that different from the user perspective nor will the
user experience be that much different?

> We just purchased some server SSL's for work using RapidSSL.com and our
> admin said it was quite painless, and inexpensive.

it looks like $69 for basic cert.

thanks for the other info too.  and good job on the site redesign!