[lug] FW: Student Buff Bulletin 08/30/2007

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:31:11 MDT 2007

At another university, it really just means they don't have to pay for
the RHEL client/workstation version (which is normally $150) and they
get access to RHN for patching their systems.

RHEL is not on the bleeding edge of anything so the packages start
getting stale (which is useful in a corporate environment for some).
There is a commitment to provide 5 or 7 (can't remember which) years of
package updates.

I've seen a few posts by fedora folks claiming, "we are not RHEL alpha."
  Recent changes to fedora governance would seem to support that, but RH
is cherry picking what they want in fedora and incorporating into RHEL
(and I imagine a good portion of the software packagers for RHEL are
also involved with Fedora).

As a student that wants to try linux but doesn't want the rapid update
cycle of Fedora, free RHEL would be worth the cost ;)

Hugh