[lug] FW: Student Buff Bulletin 08/30/2007

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 21:02:52 MDT 2007

On 8/30/07, siegfried <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

> My daughter (who just enrolled in CU Boulder) tells me she can get red hat
> enterprise for free. Can someone explain exactly what this means and how
> this is different from downloading fedora? Does it mean free support?

To summarize what others have chipped in.

1. CU probably has a site license for RHEL.
2. You can get the same thing (no license needed) with CentOS (they
repackage RHEL and remove proprietary RH logos), and there is a very
active mailing list, forums, etc.
3. If you're talking about RHEL4 = CentOS 4, you're looking at 3 years
old software.
4. If you're talking about  RHEL5 = CentOS5 you're looking at 1 year
old software (came out of Fedora FC6).
5. Current Fedora 7 is so bleeding edge that I can't even get a normal
USB mouse to work.
6. If you want bleeding edge that actually works (I've been running it
for 6 months with few problems on desktop and laptop), just put up
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy, to be released in October). Get
Tribe 5 from the usual Ubuntu sites, and follow up with a boatload of
updates.

--
Collins Richey