[lug] GPS recommendation

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 14:58:33 MDT 2007

A couple of solutions come to mind:

- the Neo1973 phone, but only if you are willing to hack around and live
with partly working software for a while.  It has agps on board, but I'm
not sure to what extent you can use that right now.  This is overkill if
you just want GPS to use with a laptop though, and the next version will
be pricey - 450$.  Current version is $300, but no wifi.  I'm planning
on getting one, but I want to develop for it and I don't mind if its not
working right away.  Bleeding edge right now, could be really cool in
the future.

http://www.openmoko.com/index.html
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973:_GTA01Bv4_versus_GTA02_comparison

- I've use a Garmin etrex in the past, you can buy a 20$ cable to
connect it to a serial port.  I've used it with some free windows
software to download track logs and overlay them on topo maps.  This gps
has been around for a long time, so there's probably good support for it
on linux as well as windows, and its the bottom of the line garmin so
its cheap.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=6403

Ben