[lug] Hi there! / Query for low-level system call documentation

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sun Sep 2 13:30:15 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 16:54 -0600, Carl Hamlin wrote:

> Hiya, everyone. I just joined the list yesterday and hope to make it to
> next Thursday's meeting to say hello to all of you.
>
> My name is Carl Hamlin. I'm a long-time ASM guy, but most of my stuff
> has been embedded code on proprietary platforms. I'm trying to get
> involved in writing for the linux operating system as manifested on the
> desktop, but I'm finding that low-level documentation of the linux
> syscall API is tough to come by, especially when we start talking about
> the socketcall subfunctions.

I'd say, look at the sources for uclibc.  It's smaller and easier to
understand than glibc.

A thing to keep in mind is that while Linux is still back-compatible
with all its INT $80 syscalls, there are much faster versions available
for many through the vdso sysenter/sysexit method.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>