[lug] changes in encryption

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 15:09:32 MDT 2007

I have an old password file (not system...a text file with passwords for
newsgroups, web sites, etc.) that I've built up and collected for
several years, created I think originally under RH7.3 (not quite sure
when). Anyway, it is AES encrypted, and I'm trying to migrate to FC 7.
It seems there have been a lot of changes, and I'm not able to loopback
mount the file anymore. I don't mind creating something new with
dm-crypt, but I kind of wanted all those passwords...without installing
and old system (though I suppose I could experiment with xen and load
something like FC4 or RH 7.3, but this would be a lot o ftrouble). The
various docs I've found seem to be out of date, and involve creating a
custom losetup...only the patch links are broken, and no longer refer to
a valid URL. Does anyone know if there is a working means to loopback
mount an older aes file? Or do I need to install and older system to
migrate (which I'm afraid probably won't have patches for either)?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net